Death happens to all things, in one way or another. In SWC there are numerous ways you can die, however you can always come back as another character and try things differently.
How can you die?
- Characters with XP level 1 are purged after 9 months of inactivity.
- Aborting a hyperspace jump and emerging from hyperspace directly into a star.
- Flying directly into a sun or through a black hole.
- Entering Hyper from within a grav well in a sufficiently damaged ship.
- Being executed.
- Your HP falls to -10% or below.
What happens to you?
After death you must wait 3 weeks before being able to rejoin as a playing character. During the 'death wait', the only Darkness ability available will be to view CPs. At any time during the three weeks, when you login to Darkness or the members page a 'change name' box will prompt to select a new name. The name of a dead character will not be reusable, so a new character name will have to be selected.
What happens to your assets?
- When a character dies, all equipped items drop to the ground at that Position.
- Any credits owned by the dead character are deleted.
- Ships, vehicles, space stations, facilities, items, droids, and NPCs with a pilot/operator/supervisor assigned will be transferred to the pilot/operator/supervisor.
- Ships, vehicles, space stations, facilities, items, droids, and NPCs with no pilot/operator/supervisor assigned will be transferred to the commander/manager.
- Ships, vehicles, space stations, facilities, items, and droids that are not assigned at all go to the market, after a random delay between 7 and 31 days for each asset.
- Cities go to the market, after a random delay between 7 and 31 days for each city.
- NPCs that are not assigned to anyone are deleted.
- Raw materials are transferred to the owner of the entity in which they are contained.
- Stocks are transferred to the Faction Leader.
- If a character dies in an explosion, such as flying into a sun or by exiting hyperspace, then everything on board the entity is destroyed.
- Entities assigned to the dead character but owned by another party remain the property of their owners.
- If a Faction Leader dies, leadership will be transferred to the 2nd In Command (2IC). If there is no 2IC, it is transferred to the faction member who has the next highest privileges rating. If there is more than one person with the most privileges, one is randomly selected.
- If a Faction Owner dies then his faction ownership (or stocks) will be transferred to the Faction Leader.
What happens to your body?
- The body will decompose and disappear after 3 weeks.
- A Trophy Ear can be taken from a body with any Slashing Weapon.
Recreating your character
As soon as your character dies you can go to the Character page and select the new handle you wish to use. This handle needs to be approved by an admin before you can create your character. If you change your mind you may submit other handles for approval right up until you create your new character.
What happens to your Items
Since your new character has no relation to your old character (the server does not recognize family relations, even if you choose to roleplay as the family member of your old character), your old character's assets cannot be returned to you. You are not allowed to make a will of any sort that would result in your new character getting your old character's items. Doing so is a violation of the golden rule (IC/OOC separation) and will be punished.